Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Do I really look that bad?

During these snowy days, I have often been stuck at home. In order to stay active and not go nuts, I have been taking long walks in the snow, stopping at the grocery store or the post office to complete some errands.

Yesterday, I took a reusable Whole Foods bag full of clothes for the dry cleaners with me on my walk. I dropped them off at the dry cleaners on 35th, then continued North on 35th until Morgan, where I was going to go left and go to the Thriftway. When I was approaching Morgan, an older lady stopped me and said "The food bank is closed today honey." As if that was the place I was heading to. Now I know I was carrying an empty shopping bag, wearing running pants underneath my baggy jeans and ugly shoes, as well as a beanie underneath my hoodie, but I didn't realize I looked that bad...

So as I was contemplating my outfit, I turned left onto Morgan (a road supposedly closed to through traffic) and spent 45 minutes trying to push cars out of the way and direct traffic around stalled vehicles. Suddenly, as I was covered in snow, I realized that yesterday was not a day to worry about my appearance.

2 comments:

craig j said...

jaime, i was offered a coat by one of the shelters we work with...that was awesome. i go there to try and connect them to housing services and they try to connect me with them too...my coworker said that is why clients like me, because i look like them. merry christmas!

Sooz said...

we could possibly nominate you for 'what not to wear' and you could then receive a new $5k wardrobe?? How does that sounds? I think it could be pretty sweet! haha. But really, that is so crazy she said that to you! I say whatevs to her and you rock your crazy running pants and jeans look. . and by the way, how did you end up directing traffic???