Sunday, April 19, 2009

Geoff hikes to Rattlesnake Ridge

(click for full size)

So I took the Sportwagen out to North Bend this morning, and took a hike up Rattlesnake Ridge for a fantastic morning vista! Yes, that's right, I was out of the house by eight, and at the top of the mountain by ten! I think the nice weather got to me. I completed all of my yardwork yesterday, and with Jaime out of town, woke early this morning wanting to do something leisurely outside. So, after a bit of deliberation, I headed out towards SE King County. I can't explain the historical fascination I have with this area. I just do! Rattlesnake lake sits near the former town site of Moncton, which was flooded in the spring/summer of 1915 by water seeping through the ground from the newly dammed Chester Morse reservoir. History Link has a great article on the entire story here. It took me around an hour to make it to the top, where the vista was absolutely amazing! It was fairly quiet up there as well, but after about 15 minutes of relaxation, someone pulled out their cellphone and started a rather loud conversation. This was my sign to start back down the mountain. I was glad that I had gotten there so early, as the trail was packed on the way back down. By 11:15 I was back on the freeway and headed home. Here's the link to the entire set of photos I took today.

(the Sportwagen WAY down below. Hey, why'd that guy park so close to me?!)

No comments: